2 Awesome Lunar New Year Cocktails Ideas
It’s that time of the year when red packets are given and received, when questions about your marital status are asked, and when the nation suddenly goes on a bak-kwa eating frenzy. It’s the Lunar New Year, a time when your family and friends gather to make merry and spread festive cheer. But instead of just handing out frosty cans of lager like you always do every year, why not kick it up a notch this year with these amazing Lunar New Year-inspired cocktails from The Source’s lead bartender, Woong Chang, at brightestyoungthings.com.
3/4 oz fresh squeezed blood orange juice
1/2 oz lime juice
1/4 fresh squeezed ginger juice
3/4 oz lemongrass-ginger syrup
2 oz Prosecco
1 oz Zacapa
1. (Optional) Zest an orange and rim the glass with peel.
2. Shake blood orange juice, lime juice, ginger juice and syrup together.
3. Pour into a tall glass filled with ice.
4. Top with Prosecco.
5. Top with Zacapa.
6. Hang orange peel over the rim of the glass to create illusion of horse’s neck.
Chinese New Year Punch
4 oz blood orange
1 oz honey ginger syrup
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/4 oz ginger juice
2 oz makers
Dash Reagan’s orange bitters
Splash of soda (goes in at the end once in a glass)
1. Combine all ingredients in a punch bowl.
2. Rim each individual cup with a mixture of one part Szechuan peppercorn to two parts sugar.
3. Add ice to glasses.
4. Ladle in the punch.
Chang’s Note: If you want to kick it up a notch, use Prosecco instead of soda or ginger beer instead of ginger.
From all of us here at CocktailSG and Drinkdings, here’s wishing you a very prosperous and bountiful Year of the Horse. May you always have alcohol to drink, and friends to drink said alcohol with!